Types of Space Heaters for your Work Station
what is a space heater?
A space heater is designed to heat a single room or space when the central heating system is unavailable. These devices warm up the room either by radiation or convection. Radiation heaters heat nearby things, while convection heaters heat the entire room using natural airflow to circulate hot air.
when to use a space heater
During the cold months, it's inevitable that you'll need to warm up a space. The most common way is by using a central heating system. However, there are instances that a space heater is more practical to use.
- When the central heating system is unavailable - If you don't have a central heating system in your home due to damage or you find it too costly to install, a space heater comes in handy. You can also use a space heater if the central system is inadequate.
- In case of an emergency - In February 2021, a bitter freeze swept across Texas and caused a major power crisis. During this time, the only way the people could keep their homes warm was by using gas-powered space heaters.
- To heat garages and workshops, you can use space heaters to keep the space warmer during cold months.
types of space heaters
There are different types of space heaters on the market today. While this is a good thing, having too many options can make it challenging to choose the best and safest option to heat your space. Here, we’ll cover four of the best space heaters that are worth the investment.
A convection heater relies on the movement of air to circulate heat throughout the room. When heating a room using this type of heater, the warm air will rise. This type of heating has numerous benefits, which include:
- As the hot air rises and the cold air falls, the room heats evenly.
- These types of heaters are easy to mount on walls so they are out of the way.
- Convection heaters do not rely on your home's ductwork to circulate heat and air making them almost silent.
However, before you decide to buy this type of heater, it is essential to note that they are ineffective for heating large spaces.
Infrared heaters rely on heating surfaces through radiation, similar to how the sun heats the planet. In this case, the heat source heats an object directly rather than the air. Radiant heating has the following benefits:
- These types of heaters have a greater 'flux' and take less time and energy to heat a space.
- Because infrared heaters heat objects and not the air, the warmth is retained better.
- Radiant heater systems are easy to install and maintain.
Micathermic Panel Space Heaters
A micathermic heater has a heating system covered with thin sheets of mica stone, and it utilizes both convection and radiation to heat a space. Unlike the other two types of heaters, micathermic heaters have smaller heating systems.
The heating element heats the mica stone, emitting electromagnetic rays after it heats to some extent. The rays then heat the room by using the convection mode of heat transfer. Unlike radiant heaters, micathermic heaters heat all the objects in the room evenly and therefore, have several benefits:
- Better heat distribution as the electromagnetic radiation heats all objects simultaneously.
- Since they apply both convection and radiant heating methods, micathermic heaters heat a room quicker than the other two types.
- While all heaters use the same amount of power to heat a room, micathermic heaters are faster and more economical.
- Micathermic heaters don't contain moving parts which make them silent.
Ceramic Space Heaters
Ceramic heaters mainly consist of plastic with some metal and ceramic as the central heating system. The heating system in these space heaters includes a positive temperature coefficient ceramic that heats the air that passes through it.
Due to the durable nature of ceramic, these types of heaters last for many years as long as you keep them free of dust and particles. There are two types of ceramic space heaters:
- Convective ceramic heaters - These types of heaters warm up the room by heating a series of aluminum parts that transfer heat to the ceramic heating element. The unit also draws cold air from the base and pushes it over to the heating elements of the heater. The warm air is then blown into the room by a fan within the heater.
- Radiant ceramic heaters - Unlike convective ceramic heaters, radiant ceramic heaters don't have a fan to blow air in or out. Instead, this type of heater directly heats objects in its path.
Ceramic space heaters have numerous benefits, which include:
- They have a low risk of fire hazards.
- They have additional built-in safety features.
- They are portable and lightweight.
- They are very affordable and high-quality.
With the availability of safe and affordable types of space heaters on the market, you no longer have to suffer in the cold when your central heating system is not working. Compare the different types of small space heaters discussed above and choose the one that matches your needs.
When shopping for a space heater for your home or workshop, you can trust NorTex for the best choice. We have a wide range of heater models that match your budget and heating needs. Contact us for more information.
Share this Article ↓