Breaking Down the 5 Types of Pressure Washer Detergents
are you using the right detergent?
- What are you cleaning? Are you cleaning your house, deck, car, or garage? Or are you cleaning something more substantial, like an oil rig or vehicles at a construction site? By determining what you are cleaning, it will help you decide which cleaner will do the best job for your project.
- Are you removing stains, oil, mildew? Some detergents remove grease and oil better than others while some offer protection against mildew.Transportation
- What kind of surface are you cleaning? You may need a detergent that is easy on painted surfaces or one that cleans better on more porous surfaces such as wood.
- Are you using hard water? Hard water can affect the type and amount of detergent you use.
- How large is your project? Determine the size so that you can calculate how much detergent you should purchase.
five categories of detergent
1. All-Purpose Cleaner Detergent
These are the cleaners that you find in gallon jugs in most hardware and home improvement stores. They are fine for most residential projects and will remove dirt and grime from most surfaces.
They are relatively inexpensive and are well suited for the DIYer who has many surfaces to clean. The price per gallon may be more than the concentrate because they come pre-mixed and ready to use, but you will have less to store.
These cleaners are used for just what you would expect: removing grease, oil, and grime. Use a degreaser when cleaning oil stains from the garage floor or driveway, cleaning an automobile engine, or for any use where there is oily or greasy buildup.
They work best with hot water pressure washers as the hot water and productive detergent combine to wash the toughest build-up away.
3. Vehicle Detergent
As you can imagine, these detergents are specifically designed for use on your automobiles, boats, campers, as well as commercial transportation fleets. Because they are made to be safe on paint and trim, you can use this type of detergent with confidence that you are not damaging the exterior of these vehicles.
If you are specifically using for boats, look for detergents that help in cleaning algae. If you need specific cleaners for over-the-road vehicles, look for those that specify that they are good for removing road tar or film.
4. Residential Deck and House Detergent
Multi-purpose deck and house detergent is made to handle large surfaces and is formulated for your specific type of siding, decking, or even fencing. Some will even offer protection from the elements and help preserve the paint or stain. Though not as harsh as degreasers or vehicle detergents, they work well on dirt that is ingrained into the wood.
5. Specialized Solutions
If you have a special need that does not fit into any of the other categories, you may have to look beyond the multipurpose formulations and go to something that is more specialized for your project. Pay special attention to the uses and applications and use that information to determine if you need something more specific and specialized.
find your perfect pressure washer detergent
Share this Article ↓